I'm an artist and games/software developer (also now a lecturer in games audio at Abertay University), and have been releasing games and interactive art since 2005. Until I retired it in early 2015 I ran the small mixed-media record label Giant Bear Tracks, and I have created various pieces of audio software over the years. I have a PhD in Music Technology from the University of Glasgow (details here).
I am interested in the intersection of sound, visuals and interaction. My work often makes use of procedurally-generated elements, such as procedural colour palettes, text, and audio. I have made a number of local multiplayer games, and have developed an interest in creating digital works which involve real-world interactions between players/audience-members. I am also interested in the creation of new creative tools, and how such tools shape the art created with them.
- BFI Video Games Day 2018: Gave an interactive keynote with Yann Seznec for the BFI's Video Games Day event, built around ShoutFight!, a game we made especially for the event. [link].
- Contributed to Abertay PhD student Mona Bozdog's Generation ZX(X) event about the history of the Timex factory in Dundee. Developed a site specific game (Breaking out of the Frame), and handled the electronics/custom controllers for a student game (Assembly Line). [link].
The Festival of Improbable Instruments
- A workshop run with Luci Holland and Yann Seznec on how to build musical instruments out of cardboard, electronics, and software. [link].
- Now Play This 2018: Exhibited alongside other flatgames as part of the Now Play This festival. [link].
- Edinburgh International Science Festival: Play On: 5 interactive exhibits shown as part of the Edinburgh International Science Festival's Play On exhibition at the National Museum of Scotland [link].
- Mini Maker Faire 2017: Exhibited as part of the Edinburgh International Science Festival at the Mini Maker Faire, with my custom controller. [link].
- Games Are For Everyone Volume 4: Exhibited at Games Are For Everyone 4, Edinburgh, with a custom controller [link].
- Play Expo Glasgow 2016: Exhibited at Play Expo Glasgow [link].
- Colour Me Happy: Music Explorer Hummingbird Out Now: Rock Paper Shotgun article [link].
- Beta Public V: Exhibited at Beta Public videogames and performance event [link].
- GameCity 2014: Exhibited alongside my stall in the Hearts & Crafts fair.
- Le Bundle de Noël de l'Oujevipo: Included in the Oujevipo Christmas bundle [link].
- Tacos, Bluegrass & Videogames: Exhibited coffee table-style [link].
A Dance of Whispered Truths (collaboration with Mantra Collective)
- V&A Friday Late (September 2017): Exhibited (sans Mantra Collective) at the V&A as part of their Friday Late series. [link].
- Techhaus Festival: Exhibited (sans Mantra Collective) at Techhaus event, Glasgow [link].
- The Space and BBC Academy Day 2016: Exhibited (sans Mantra Collective) at BBC/The Space event, Edinburgh [link].
- Press Play 2016: Exhibited/performed at Press Play event, Dundee [link].
- Light Bytes Glasgow 2016: Exhibited (sans Mantra Collective) at Light Bytes event, Glasgow [link].
- Hidden Door 2016: Exhibited/performed at Hidden Door Festival, Edinburgh [link].
- Sound Thought 2016: Exhibited/performed at Sound Thought conference, Glasgow [link].
- Tinderbox Festival 2015: Exhibited/performed at Tinderbox Festival, Edinburgh [link].
- Commissioned by We Throw Switches to build a controller for Vaida Plankyte's Competitive Cuddling Simulator. Exhibited at Games Are For Everyone Volume 4, Edinburgh [link].
- Employed to do additional programming on Incalcando's Parat+ app. Funding by University of Glasgow.
- Enjoy Glasgow through a broken radio: Offworld article [link].
- Free Games of the Week: PC Gamer round-up; Oct 3, 2015 [link].
- Feral Vector 2015: Exhibited/released at Feral Vector 2015 in Hebden Bridge, where I also gave a talk about the game, and hiding things. [link].
- Cracked: Roguelike [encrypted] Launching Next Weekend: Rock Paper Shotgun article [link].
- [encrypted] Takes the Deepest Video Game Genre Into Elusive New Realities: Vice Motherboard article [link].
- DevLog Watch: That Which Sleeps, Limit Theory, [encrypted]: Rock Paper Shotgun article [link].
- EGX London 2014: Exhibited as part of the Leftfield Collection.
- Dreamers of Dreams: A Diary of Whispered Truths: Rock Paper Shotgun article [link].
- Create intense imagery, calming music with this playful visualizer: Kill Screen article [link].
- ahom.us: Exhibited at the ahom.us exhibition; Austin, Texas [link].
- GameCity 2014: Exhibited with a custom controller [youtube].
- Games are for Everyone Volume 2 (2015): Exhibited at the Games are for Everyone games night. [link]
- National Videogame Arcade Exhibited at the National Videogame Arcade (May 2015).
- Side by Side S1 E8: Gravity Series: Video critique [youtube].
- Feral Vector 2014: Exhibited as 4-player tournament (late addition) [link].
- Final full release from my Giant Bear Tracks label. Handmade fold-out book + 10 track album.
Screaming Snakeball Tournament Edition (unreleased; original version here)
- GameCity 2013: Exhibited on two large screens in the Market Square [youtube].
- Games Reflexions: Exhibited in the Games Reflexions game art retro & indie games exhibition [link].
- Live Free, Play Hard: Single Mom With Flamethrower Hands: Rock Paper Shotgun article [link].
- Drop in and Play: Exhibited at the Drop in and Play event in the Dundee Contemporary Arts centre.
- Live Free, Play Hard: Princess + Bomb = Cake: Rock Paper Shotgun article [link].
- 12-page zine about the potential future of music.
- Rezzed 2012: Exhibited as part of the Leftfield Collection.
- Tiny World Tour: Ludum Dare 23: Rock Paper Shotgun article [link].
- Ludum Dare 18 First in the graphics category [link].
See here for a full list of works I have released.