n i a l l m o o d y . c o m
games and music software
Twindy is a window manager for linux (and possibly any system running an X server?) inspired byTracktion, the multitrack audio editor/sequencer for Windows and OS X. Twindy tries to apply Tracktion's workflow, where everything is on screen at once, to a window manager. As such, there are two panels, a main panel where new windows/programs open by default and may be selected using tabs, and a lower panel, which can only hold one window/program at a time.
The idea is that you'll do your main work in the top panel, and use the bottom panel for a terminal, or a file manager you'd want to keep open. See the screenshots page for some examples.
Twindy is intended to be:
- Simple: The idea is that anyone should be able to use it, without needing to have any great knowledge of linux. Hence all the options are configurable from within Twindy, and no editing of configuration files is necessary. Ideally, documentation should be unnecessary as the program's function should be obvious.
- Elegant: As it uses JUCE, all Twindy's drawing is done with simple vector graphics, hopefully making it feel clean, and easy on the eyes.
- Customisable, to a point: Twindy's main distinguishing feature is its two-pane, tabbed interface - as such, this layout is the one thing that is not customisable. Everything else, however, should be easily customised using the preferences panel.
- Windows are automatically mapped to either the upper or lower panel, and fixed in position.
- Upper window panels are tabbed.
- Fully customisable colour scheme, colours are read from.tracktionscheme files, so you can import your favourite Tracktion 2 scheme. This is probably the best place to find .tracktionschemes.
- Fourteen user-customisable buttons in the lower left corner, which can be set to open a popup menu with a number of program entries, or just start a particular program.
- Can run any number of programs at startup (particularly useful for gnome-settings-daemon).
- Full preferences page, making it possible to alter any option from within Twindy.
- Workspace support, as tabs along the top of the screen.
- Localisation support.
Download for Linux (1.66MB)